Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cinnamon Muffins

Behold, my second creation upon entering the world of self-rising flour!

The only other time I used self-rising flour was when I made my birthday cake.  And now that I have all this self-rising flour laying around, I might as well do something with it, right?

So naturally, I looked up the nummiest and simplest recipe I could find for self-rising flour and here it is: cinnamon muffins!  I'm sure it's called something else on the Betty Crocker website, but in the meantime, I'm just going to call them plain ol' cinnamon muffins.

But first, a debate I just thought of.  Yes, it is related to muffins.

The question is: wrappers or no wrappers?

My personal choice is no wrappers.  Muffins have that heavy-duty feel to them, and wrappers just make them look flimsy and sweet.  A real muffin has sugar in it, true, but it's not so obvious as a cupcake.  Cupcakes need wrappers, or else they're a mess.  Muffins can stand alone, therefore proving that they are far superior to cupcakes.  See my full rant here.  It's not very long, don't worry.

So there you have it.  If you have a personal opinion, O Wandering Internet Foodie, then I'd love to hear from you in the comment section at the bottom of this post!

Now, breakfast!

Cinnamon Muffins
REQUIRES COOLED MELTED BUTTER

Muffins:
2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted, cooled
1 egg
Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 stick butter, melted

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Grease bottoms of 12-count muffin pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon with a fork.
  3. In a small bowl, blend milk, melted butter, and egg.  Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.  The batter should be slightly lumpy.
  4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, each cup about 2/3 full.
  5. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
  6. Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl.  Melt 1/2 stick butter and place in small bowl.
  7. Remove muffins from cups and dip into melted butter.  Dip again into cinnamon-sugar mixture and set on serving plate.  Serve warm.  Makes 12 muffins.
Breaking it down:
Combine your dry ingredients...
Add to your wet ingredients...
Scoop into greased muffin cups...
Bake about 15 minutes...
Make your cinnamon sugar mixture...
Then dip your muffins into butter and dunk in the cinnamon sugar!  I'd make a little extra cinnamon sugar just in case... I coated my muffins pretty liberally with the butter and sugar and only got 9 of them done.  What's wrong with extra cinnamon sugar, anyway?  Just butter some toast and sprinkle it on, and you've got a delicious breakfast!
Aren't they scrumptious-looking?  I can assure you, they are scrumptious-tasting, also! :D
-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...