Wednesday, August 29, 2012

An Attempt at S'More Cupcakes



Let me explain why this is an attempt.

These cupcakes epic failed.  And I know that's practically an archaic term now, but it's so unbelievably true.  They epic failed.

And I know exactly what I did wrong.

I'm sure these would have turned out absolutely delicious, except that I sort of managed to mess them all up.

The result: cupcakes that weren't baked through at ALL on the bottom half and collapsed in the middle.  In other words: nasty.

And then I realized one thing that had gone wrong - the pan I'd put beneath the cupcake pan to catch drips had been literally underneath the cupcake pan.  As in, the pans were stacked.

Well, no wonder the bottom half wasn't baked.

And as for the collapsing, I have no idea.  I'm sure a thoroughly-baked lower half would have helped with the collapsing issue, and the collapsing isn't really a big deal.  Just cover it up with an extra marshmallow and ganache, like so in the picture above.

This recipe was from Bakerella, and you will find it here.  Where she did it right.

But I'll break it down for you anyway:
Make your graham cracker cupcake batter...
And your chocolate cupcake batter...
And then your graham cracker topping.  Try not to eat this right away.  It's gonna be hard, but you can make it.
Pour in some graham cracker batter and top with the topping..,
And marshmallow halves.
Top with the chocolate cupcake batter...
And more gorgeous graham cracker topping.
Bake as directed.  Hopefully yours won't spread out over the top of the pan as much as mine did.  Try actually filling the cupcake cups 3/4 of the way full.  And the drip pan does not go directly beneath the cupcakes!  No, no, no, no, no!  Also, me being a person suffering from the common sweet tooth, I found the ganache to be too bitter.  Add some sugar to the ganache and taste it if that's the case with you, too.
Well, on to the next recipe!
-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...