Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Homemade Donuts

I'm back!  And I brought donuts!
There are so many fantabulous donut recipes out there.  I'd prowl through foodie blogs and find gorgeous pictures of hot cocoa donuts and valentine's day donuts and I'd nearly explode from the cuteness.

And I'd be all like, I have to make those!

Except that I couldn't, because I did not possess a donut pan.

Until now.

Yes, for my birthday, my grandma gave me a donut pan.  (Love you grandma!)

DONUTS HERE I COME!

Now, you'd think me, being a chocoholic, would go straight for the chocolate donuts.  But I didn't.  I stayed strong.  But I made donuts anyway.

See, there were all these bananas lying around the house, getting spotty and rotten and totally unfit to eat by themselves.  (Honestly, if a banana doesn't still have some green in the peel, I will not touch it.  It's been defiled by this thing called "ripeness," which I believe will kill me if I eat it.  JK.  But I will not eat a ripe banana.  No.)

And banana bread is boring.  Really boring.  I mean, that's the go-to recipe for rotten bananas.

And I had a donut pan.

Banana donuts, baby!

And really, these are gorgeous tasting donuts.  And I decided to glaze them with a maple glaze because I thought that would make them really nummy.  I was right.

The donut recipe is from Rachael Ray and the glaze is from the doughnut book I got for my birthday. :)

Note: This recipe makes 6 donuts, because I only have a 6-donut pan.  If you want to make twelve, either double this recipe or use Rachael Ray's donut recipe.  (You'll have to double the glaze ingredients yourself.)

Banana Donuts with Maple Glaze
REQUIRES ROOM TEMPERATURE EGG

5/8 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg at room temperature
2 bananas, mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease one 6-count donut pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
  3. In a small bowl, combine sugar, egg, bananas, vanilla, and oil.
  4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined.  Spoon batter three-quarters full into prepared pans.
  5. Bake until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out dry, 12-15 minutes.  Let cool completely on wire rack before glazing.
  6. Place powdered sugar into medium bowl.  Stir in maple syrup and milk, a little at a time, until the glaze is smooth and pourable.
  7. Dip donuts into glaze, coating generously.  Makes 6 donuts.
Let's break it down:
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in one bowl...
 
Combine sugar, egg, bananas, vanilla, and oil in the other.
Combine the contents of two bowls...
Pour into your pan and bake about 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, prepare your glaze.  Combine powdered sugar, maple syrup, milk.
You may have some extra glaze left over, but I bet that won't be a problem, now will it? ;)
So after your donuts have finished cooling...
Dip them, let them dry, and enjoy!
For the record, I am now a HUGE fan of homemade donuts.  Or is it doughnuts?  Whatevs.  But they taste SO much better than the stuff you get from stores and grocery stores - but that's pretty obvious.  Still, I'm super excited about these - so get a donut pan and start baking! :D
-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...