Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chocolate Chunk Brookies


Ever since I heard the term "brookie," I was hooked.  Cookies and brownies combined must mean awesome, right?

Well...

While I'm not saying these aren't good, I'm just saying I don't like these that much.  I mean, I'm so not a blondie fan it's unbelievable.  Unless it has white chocolate in it.  Then yes.

And these brookies tasted like blondies with chocolate chunks.  (Yes, yes, I know, it's supposed to be chocolate chips but I made do with what I had on hand at the time.  Chunks work just fine.)

I got this recipe from Bakerella, and I'm sure these would have been better if I had her oven.  Like, seriously, hers turned out amazing-looking and absolutely delicious, I'm sure.  But mine... they sort of collapsed and didn't really cook in the middle.  Which is fine and all if it tasted like cookie dough - but it DIDN'T.

Now that I think about it, the edges were really tasty.  But the middle...  And this is coming from the girl who loves cake batter, cookie dough, pretty much anything raw.  This should not be raw.  Nooo.
So, if your oven is like mine, please see the asterisk* for baking instructions.  If your oven runs hot like Bakerella's, use the normal baking instructions.  I really don't know what the difference between our ovens are except that mine is a few years old and not specifically for baking.  I'm not even going to try to guess what other bakers have.  It'll just make me feel inadequate. XP

Anyhoo, here's the recipe if you want to try it.  Not saying you shouldn't, but I'm not saying you should, either.  I'll find scrumptious things to bake yet, don't you worry!

Chocolate Chunk Brookies
REQUIRES SOFTENED BUTTER

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chocolate chunks
  1. Preheat oven to: 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl with a fork.
  3. In a separate bowl, cream brown sugar and butter.
  4. Add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition.  Stir in vanilla.
  5. Stir in chocolate chunks.
  6. Add flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
  7. Bake 30 minutes.  If not done in the middle, cover with aluminum foil and bake additional time.  Test with a toothpick every 5 minutes.  Bake until golden brown and do not over bake.
And now I'll break this down for ya - but note that I only made a half-batch!  Maybe that's my problem...

Combine butter and brown sugar...
Add eggs...
Stir well and add vanilla.
Stir in those chocolate chunks...
Add the flour mixture...
And spread into your pan.
Now this is what mine looked like at first...
But unfortunately the center collapsed and I was left with this.  While it does look appetizing, it was only slightly baked.  I.e. almost raw.  And almost raw is wayyyy more nasty than raw.  It is awful.
But the sides came out quite nicely.
If a little crunchy.  You can see the raw-ness inside here.
I wish you luck on this baking endeavor should you choose to try it!
Otherwise, thank you and have a jolly good day!
-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...