Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pretzel Cookies


When I first heard of peanut butter and pretzels, I thought the two together would be awful.  And those fake-peanut-butter-stuffed-pretzels are pretty awful.

But real peanut butter on a pretzel?  YUM - why didn't I think of this earlier?

So, now obsessed with a new combination, I thought - why not add chocolate?

Because that's just the sort of person I am. :)

So, I found this recipe for pretzel cookies from the Foodie and the Family, and it turned out to be some of the chewiest, most interesting, best-tasting cookies I've ever made.

Pretzel Cookies
REQUIRES SOFTENED BUTTER
REQUIRES CHILLING TIME

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten (you can do this with a fork)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups peanut butter and milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup pretzels, broken up
sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
  1. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.  Set aside.
  2. In a separate large bowl, cream butter with brown sugar and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla.
  3. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
  4. Stir in chips and pretzels.
  5. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
  6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  7. Scoop well-rounded tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets.  Sprinkle with sea salt and bake 10-12 minutes.
  8. Cool 5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.  Makes from 24-30 cookies, depending on cookie size.

Breaking that sweet-n-salty stuff down:
Combine your dry ingredients.  Then cream butter with sugars.  I always cream my butter first, then add the sugars and combine.  It's easier on me considering I'm usually not using an electric mixer.  But that's a rant for another day.
Add egg and vanilla...
Then add flour mixture...
...and combine.
Stir in chips and pretzels.  A quick note about the chips: I said use 1 1/2 cups of milk chocolate and peanut butter chips, like that kind Nestle sells that you can buy at Target.  You could also follow the exact, unmodified recipe and use only a 1/2 cup peanut butter chips and 1 cup milk chocolate chips, but I had the bag of mixed chips and I really didn't feel like separating all those out.  I'm sure the cookies taste great either way.  Your choice! ;)
YUM.  Scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets...
...and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.  Let sit 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.  Aren't they just cute?
And delicious! :D
Have a salty-sweet day!
-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...